Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Finally!

I got through with installing Visual Studio .Net on my system. Although it took around 1.5 hours, and a lot of headache, but it was done. The database project is actually a social networking site, like Orkut, Friendster etc. These kind of sites are ASP based, requiring the IIS to be installed on the system. The IIS (Internet Information System) comes bundled with Windows and it turns your system into a webserver. The .Net installed on my system won't let me create ASP .Net applications, citing that the Webserver running on my system isn't ASP .Net ver 1.1. Cool! Just what I needed after toiling for five days! That turned out to be a no-op. Actually sometimes the service isn't updated. I found the solution from Devshed.com. Just have to execute and fix the service. Here is what to do:

  1. Open Console Window (command prompt)
  2. Presuming that you have installed Visual Studio .Net 2003 (ofcourse!) and you are running Windows XP, go to the folder %windir%\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4322
  3. Run aspnet_regiis.exe -i (Note the switch -i, that's important)
  4. And be happy! Your system is now running ASP .Net ver 1.1!

That fixed my system, and now I can create web applications easily!

No comments: